Monday, February 18, 2008

Disappoitment with the 9X0 operation

Ricevo questa comunicazione dell'amico Fabrizio, IN3ZNR, facente parte del team 9X0R:


Disappointment with the operation DJ6SI, DK2WV and DJ9ZB from Rwanda.

Team members of the multinational dxpedition to Rwanda, 9X0R, express their disagreement and disappointment to the three German operators who are operating from Rwanda now, because the only important thing for those three hams, it seems, is to be the first regardless of anything else.

As everyone knows, it was almost impossible to get a license in Rwanda. After 6 months of hard work, I reached an in-person interview with the Head of RURA, the department of Rwanda’s Government that deals with affairs of radio, and, risking my previous work and the full cost of this trip, I went to talk to the head of the RURA .

Before my trip to Kigali everything related with amateur radio (licensing included) was frozen . RURA Officials were fearful of amateur radio activities and they had not much interest in this matter. They didn’t know how to make a license, or conditions or standards to apply or protocols to follow, problems which were solved thanks to the work done by Peter Stabusch and myself in those frenetic days of the beginning of this year. So they start to establish the Rules to follow for obtaining the amateur license and at the same time they prepared my 9X0R license.

I am a member of the German DX Foundation and since my appointment with the head of RURA was confirmed past December, I sent an email to GDXF Secretary informing him about my plans and told him that I would like to have another GDXF member in my team. I was communicating this way to my friends in the GDXF, including its President,DJ9ZB, telling them about my plans without hiding anything because I was thinking that all GDXF members we are gentlemen.

Today, thanks to the work others have done, DJ6SI, DK2WV and DJ9ZB have been able to get their 9X0 licenses so quickly, at the same time counting us for nothing, although simple domestic education means, at least, informing us about their intentions… I suppose that their only aim was to go there and get on the air before us regardless of anything else.

This is something I would never have done because of my moral principles, my ethical principles and my education.

9X0R members want to express our revulsion towards this kind of practice. We will continue with our plans of doing the Dxpedition as it was planned and helping to establish amateur radio in Rwanda as well as Rwanda Amateur Radio Union in the Republic of Rwanda and donating materials for the future Kigali's radio club station so that young people of Rwanda could get acquainted with the world of Amateur Radio and would be able to learn about international friendship through our hobby.

Therefore, I ask everyone of you that, if you spend your time on calling 9X0X-DJ6SI, 9X0W-DK2WV or 9X0Z-DJ9ZB pile-ups , just think and remember which kind of hams you are trying to contact. We, 9X0R members, still believe in the gentlemen hams and we are against those who believe that anything is valid looking to be first.

The 9X0R will return to the German DX Foundation the funds donated by it because we believe that the actions of its President, DJ9ZB, are not the proper ones to promote amateur radio, DX and dxpeditions.

Antonio Gonzalez EA5RM - 9X0R

No comments: